Saturday, January 16

Secret Hitler, the bluffing game for people who hate bluffing games

I’m generally not a big fan of the board game subgenre known as “bluffing games.” The particulars vary, but these games are all about trying to suss out which players have been randomly assigned a secret “bad guy” role (or, if you’re a “bad guy,” trying to convince everyone else that you’re actually not a “bad guy”).

On paper, these games are a great excuse to start conversations, get friendly accusations flying, and generate the social glue that makes a great, memorable game. In practice, though, most of the bluffing games I play usually go something like this:

Other player: I think Kyle is the “bad guy.”
Me (regardless of whether or not I’m the bad guy): No, I’m not.
Other player: He’s totally lying! I totally know it!
Me: No, I’m not.
*repeat over and over and with various other combinations of players*

Read 19 remaining paragraphs | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment