Saturday, April 9

iZombie is the zombie-themed police procedural show you need to be watching

Enlarge / Rose McIver as Liv Moore in the CW's iZombie. (credit: The CW)

Comic book-themed TV and movie fatigue is real, and I suffer from it big time. I tried very hard to like Jessica Jones and failed. I have nothing to give your Daredevils and your Gothams and your The Flashes but a gigantic Liz Lemon-class eye-roll. I can’t even say I “hate” them because “hate” still requires some modicum of emotional investment.

So imagine my surprise when I found a comic-book-derived show that I actually love: The CW’s iZombie, which is currently nearing the end of its second season. Created by Veronica Mars’ Diane Ruggiero-Wright and Rob Thomas, the show is loosely based on the 28-issue Vertigo comic of the same name and admirably juggles the reliability and predictability of a crime-of-the-week police procedural with a multithreaded serial.

The show’s name sells it short, so here’s the expanded premise: young doctor Liv Moore (Rose McIver) has a great job and a great fiancĂ© (Major Lilywhite, played by Robert Buckley) and everything is going great! But one night, against her better judgment, Liv decides to put herself out there and socialize; she’s on a party boat when an apparent zombie outbreak kicks off, infecting her and radically altering the course of her life.

Read 7 remaining paragraphs | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment